Thursday, February 9, 2012

Chapter 3&4 Mary's Heart in a Martha's World

Chapter Three~

Question ~ Martha wanted Jesus to tell Mary to help out in the kitchen, but instead of giving her what she wanted, Dr. Jesus made a diagnosis: "Martha, Martha,...you are worried and upset about many things." If you had been Martha, how would Jesus' words have made you feel?
Imogene ~ Well since I know that I am a Martha, he has told me this multiple times during my life. There have been so many times where I am so worried to the point that I have stomach problems. When I lay them at his feet I know that I have the choice to trust him with these concerns and let them go. He is my Abba and provider. He knows the path that he has for me and he is looking for my trust for him to lead me. He takes me back to my moment of salvation and says, "You trusted me with much, are you not going to trust me with little?"
Question ~What spoke most to you in this chapter?


Chapter Four~

Question~ Read the wagon story. Take a look at your wagon. Which rocks has God asked you to carry? Which rocks have you unwisely and sometimes unconsciously volunteered to carry for someone else?
Imogene~ My relationship with God and my family are the main rocks in my wagon. When things and activities come up, I have to ask myself, "Is this going to make my load heavier or lighter?" I know that God has called me to do much for his name but I have to rely on his strength and will to get me through this journey as a mom.
Question~ Do you ever feel the driven, perfectionistic, spiritual Martha Stewart coming out in you? What does she look like at home? What does she look like at church?
Imogene~ This really hit home for me. I feel that when I get upset about details I am trying to control the situation and the outcome for the credit. When I am at home and hosting a get together, I have a choice to ignore the details or my children. So the details get ignored and the children get hugs. When helping at church I have a hard time delegating details but with a family at home I have to. In both situations I see over and over again how God is in the details. His will is going to be done with or without me worrying about the details.
Question~ Why may the one thing God asks you to do be different from what he requires of someone else?
Imogene~ We are all made differently and God uses us in different ways in different people's lives. I think it is important for us all to remember that God has us just where he wants us. Sometime I find the spirit of comparison trying to sneak in and tell me that what I am doing is not enough and then I have to remember that he wants me to have a Mary's heart in this Martha's world.

No comments:

Post a Comment