Thursday, June 23, 2011

Principle 5 and 6

Principle #5 ~ The Power of Your Example

Heaven Help Us
Worship Song ~ Casting Crowns Slow Fade

Romans 7:18-25

John 15:5 "I am the vine and you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit: apart from me he can do nothing."

Nobody's Perfect pg. 194
"Feed my sheep" John 21:17-18
This poem speaks volumes to me!
"I'd rather see a sermon, than hear on any day.
I'd rather one would walk with me than merely tell me the way.
The eye's a better pupil, more willing than the ear,
Fine council is confusing, but example's always clear.
And the best of all people are the ones that live their creeds,
For to see good in action is what everyone needs.
continued on pg. 196

pg. 203 Has some real fun ideas to apply traditions throughout the different holidays!
pg. 210 Has some wonderful travel ideas~ What are some of yours? I love this goodie bag idea and I am going to use it next month for our beach trip! No more fighting over treats and toys:)

Principle 6~
We are all changes in the making.



pg. 219 "But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation."

I have to always ask myself am I looking to my foundation for my strength or just my self?

pg.231
My mommy friends and I were just talking about good books to look for with our preschoolers and here it is. It is fun to have a mission for a book at a library trip and then theme your weeks activities around this book. Here is a good link to some reading programs as well.

http://www.southernsavers.com/2011/06/free-kids-summer-reading-programs/

These two principles are filled with fun applications. I feel like I need to print out these ideas and use them to set goals at the start of the year. The fun reading ideas and inspirations to be a better mom and care what is going on in the circus I call my home is very inspiring.

2 comments:

  1. From Melissa:

    Principle #5--The Power of Your Example
    Has anyone besides me had your children call you out? Those of you with babies...your day is coming! This chapter was a wonderful reminder of the eyes that watch my every move and listen to the words that come out of my mouth on a daily basis. I personally was convicted (this is good!) and moved to really pray about the example I set for my kids. I do not want to be a do as I say, not as I do Mom. I want to be an example of the love of Christ in my home with my family.
    p.197--DO...Write a one paragraph description of the example you want to set for your family....and ask God to help you live out this description.

    Principle #6--Strong Moral Standards
    I loved these chapters with all of the examples of how to incorporate God's truths day to day with your family. A book that I have enjoyed with my school age kids is "Jesus Calling for Kids". We keep it in the car and they will read a page on the way to school or wherever we are going that day. It provokes discussion and thoughts about God's Word and applies to our daily lives. Many days I feel that God is speaking directly to me through these simple truths.
    I love books, stories, history, libraries, bookstores...She has great suggestions on reading for all ages. Find what works for your family, but most importantly, p.226..CHOOSE to be devoted to God's Word and pass that love on to your kids. Be creative...God did not make us all with the love of having our nose in a book and let's be honest some days we are just too tired to read without getting cross-eyed and going to sleep!

    ReplyDelete