Friday, January 7, 2011

Radical Chapter One


"I could not help but think that somewhere along the way we had missed what is radical about our faith and replaced it with comfortable. We were settling for a Christianity that revolves around catering to ourselves when the central message of Christianity is actually about abandoning ourselves."

As a mom of two small boys this really hits home. I find myself looking to God to help me with little daily issues that arise. I need to take him at his word and know that he has all this in his plan. That his plan for me is far greater than what I am living now in my faith. It is time for me to take the next step right where he has me.

"We are giving into a dangerous temptation to take the Jesus of the Bible and twist him into a version of Jesus we are comfortable with."

I have found that I am very comfortable where he has me. I have a wonderful family and family of faith. I now see that he has this for me as a backbone for support and it is time to take the next step. Those who receive much, much is expected.

"And the danger now is that when we gather in our church buildings to sing and lift up our hands in worship, we may not actually be worshiping the Jesus of the Bible. Instead we may be worshiping ourselves."

When we are filled with the spirit through worship, what are we doing next. We are filled with the Holy Spirit and totally focused on him in worship. I love going to church and when the doors are open I am there. But what should I be doing outside the doors is my next question to myself.

From Resource Link on Website ~
“In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.” With these words, Jesus turned away large crowds who were following Him. With grace and authority, He beckoned potential followers to consider the demands of discipleship. For most, the price was too high and the cost was too great. In the 2000 years since Jesus spoke these words, it begs the question: Do we in contemporary Christianity realize the high price of following Jesus? Do we understand the great cost for all who call themselves followers of Christ? Take a closer look at the words of Jesus that require us to consider the implications of the Gospel for every facet of our lives."

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where to begin? To me, "Radical" is mind boggling, to put it bluntly. It has made me realize that the Lord is calling me to worship and serve in a much deeper and pure manner. For the past few months I have recognized that as a "believer", someone who truly understands that Jesus took all of our sins upon Him, it is time to step it up!!! This book is just helping me look to scripture to put my life in perspective. I have seen the Lord's hand in my life directly. I know he has brought me to where I am, and equipped me with everything I need to be His servant. As I read through this first chapter, I just constantly found myself nodding in agreement. It is time to step out of the comfort zone, and worship in a way that is pleasing to him. I feel encouraged and am praying for the Lord to show me ways that I can give up, in order to give to others. We're just traveling through..

    ReplyDelete